Nov 28, 2013

Pumpkin Erissery (Kerala style curry)


I made it for the first time many months ago and did not think much about posting the recipe. A month earlier I was routinely asking my daughter what she wants me to make for lunch. Its a question which comes up every now and then in my house when I am out of ideas on what to make. Imagine my surprise when she says "Amma, make that pumpkin thingy you made long back"! First of all I did not think she would remember a specific dish made once many months ago and second  I did not have pumpkin in the refridgerator. So I took a rain check on it and made her favourite pulav instead.
In keeping with this week's Thanksgiving run-up I decided to bring the vegetable home and make her favorite curry today.

Pumpkin Errisery is really simple to make and turns out into a delicious dish. I think it would be a perfect side dish and looks awesome in the middle of a spread. So make it for a pot luck or party  and get some kudos while taking it easy!

Pumpkin Errisery (Kerala Style Curry)

Servings: 3 cups
Prep Time: 10 mins Cook Time: 20 mins

Ingredients 

To Boil

4 cups Pumpkin (cut into 1-inch cubes)
Salt to taste
A pinch of turmeric

To Grind


1 tsp Cumin seeds
3 Green Chillies
1/4 cup Coconut

To Temper

1/2 Medium onion or 4-5 Shallots
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
2 Red Chillies
8-10 Curry leaves
3 tsp Oil

Garnish

2 tbsp Coconut

Instructions

  1. Grind coconut, green chillies and cumin seeds to a coarse mix and keep aside.
  2. Boil pumpkins in water till nearly soft along with turmeric and salt. 
  3. Add the ground paste to the pumpkins and continue to cook on simmer till pumpkins are well done.
  4. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel and add mustard seeds.
  5. When the mustard seeds splutter, add red chillies and urad dal and saute for a couple of minutes.
  6. Add in onion and saute till transluscent and then put in the curry leaves.
  7. Mix well and pour the tempering on top of the cooked pumpkin
  8. In the same heavy bottomed vessel fry 2 tbsp of coconut till they are crisp and mix it into the pumpkin curry.
  9. Mix well and serve with hot rice or chapathi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...