Jun 4, 2007

Paneer Jeerawala

This is my first very OWN recipe and everyone loved it! I almost wanted to call it Paneer Siriwala but that would be a little too ostentatious. I made it for dinner yesterday to go with chapatis (rotis). It not only comes out tasty but is also a low calorie dish. Even though I have a camera phone now I forgot to take a picture of the dish. Next time I will surely remember to!! The preparation took me half an hour on the whole.

What you need to make Paneer jeerawala
  • 100 gms paneer
  • 3 tomatoes
  • 2 onions
  • 2 tsps cumin seeds (jeera)
  • Ginger - 1 inch diameter piece
  • Garlic - 5-6 pods
  • 3 tsp oil
  • 1/4 tsp turmeric
  • 3 tsp red chilly powder
  • Salt

Preparation for making Paneer jeerawala
  • Cut the paneer into small cubes
  • Cook the tomatoes using pressure cooker. Else there is a "safer" :) way. just pierce the tomatoes on all 4 sides (I know I know a tomato is round so where is the side you say? Okay just pierce it all around) and put them in a vessel. Add water to the vessel and allow it to boil. The tomatoes should be cooked in ten minutes.
  • Remove the skin of the cooked tomatoes and Puree them in a blender.
  • Cut the onions into very tiny pieces. Its easier to use a chopper for this.
  • Make the ginger and garlic into a fine paste.

Method to make Paneer jeerawala
  • Place a heavy bottomed vessel on the flame and add oil. After it heats a little add the cumin seeds and allow it to splutter. It splutters little.
  • Now add turmeric to this.
  • Put in the ginger and garlic paste and mix.
  • Add chopped onions to this, sautee and wait till it turns soft and is well done.
  • Add the red chilly powder and mix.
  • Now add the tomato puree to this and allow it to boil.
  • Put the paneer cubes in and allow it to slowly blend with the gravy while the whole thing simmers.
  • Add required amount of salt.

My fundas
  • Eat hot with phulkas (chapatis with no oil smeared while making) and they are yummy.
  • Paneer takes a while to soak in the flavours of the gravy that its in so what I did was allow it to simmer while I made the chapatis which was another half an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...